[my life, my blessings, my journey]

this & that

I have a little bit of this and a little bit of that to share today. Been taking lots and lots o' photos lately...really proud of my effort! Haha!

My goal is 30 photos - 3 times per week. Just to practice, to play and to really take in what's around me. I find that when I'm taking photos I really pay attention to the details. When I'm snapping photos of my kids, I notice how long and beautiful their eyelashes are. I notice how dark their hair has gotten and I know that soon it will be streaked with sun-kissed blonde. I really focus on the dimples in between Jack's knuckles and the way Caroline runs her tongue along her top gum, checking for the millionth time to see if her other front tooth has finally decided to join its partner. These are things that I see everyday but from behind my lens I really focus on them and, I think, become even more appreciative and aware of how blessed I truly am. Bonus.

When I'm searching for something or have an idea in my head of what I want to shoot, it rarely happens. It seems that something else unexpected always turns up and almost always makes for a more interesting photo or subject. I suppose there is a lot to be said for this - for the organic nature of photography. I like that, in the words of Pinkalicious, "You get what you get and you don't get upset." Because, in the case of my photos, what I end up getting is almost always better than what I would have set up or sought out myself. Love, love, love this. Take the first two photos for example. After I dropped Izzie off at dance, I quickly ran to a little park nearby. Everything was grey, cold, flat. Nothing colorful or interesting. A bit depressing, in fact. So I hop back in my car and head back to the studio. I drove past our little small town greenhouse and found flats and flats of pansies lined up along the windows outside. Cue screeching brakes and a quick leftie into the parking lot. Left to my own devices that day, I found ugly, grey, uninteresting. But...open my eyes and be led and look what I found.

001edit

024edit

***

Since the weather turned this week, we have been spending lots of time outdoors. John Boy loves the backyard, loves the pink Little Tykes car and puts EVERYTHING in his mouth. Sometimes funny, sometimes really, really gross. I won't go into details but you can just imagine, can't you?

036edit

034edit

033edit

029edit

042edit

***

044edit

049edit

059edit

060edit

066

076edit

078edit

Enjoy your weekend, friends.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

the first picture of the fence is so great! a great "infinity" shot. :)

penandview said...

Amanda, so fun to "meet" you! Thanks for stopping by the blog. I love this post of yours bc I absolutely know what you are talking about having photos find you rather than you finding them.
It takes an open heart, willing to wait, and yet not give up to find that life is right there waiting for you to photograph it!
I will enjoy stopping by your blog again!
t